Owners and operators of some gasoline dispensing facilities in Texas must comply with state regulations for their Stage I vapor recovery system.
Facilities subject to Stage I rules must meet equipment installation, recordkeeping, annual testing, and inspection requirements. A facility’s monthly throughput and residing county determine applicable requirements. All facilities subject to Stage I rules must test the operation of Stage I equipment annually.
Failure to annually test the operation of your Stage I equipment could result in violations and penalties.
Stage I rules pertain to facilities in the following counties as noted:
- Facilities in Brazoria, Chambers, Collin, Dallas, Denton, El Paso, Fort Bend, Galveston, Hardin, Harris, Jefferson, Liberty, Montgomery, Orange, Tarrant, and Waller counties are subject to Stage I rules regardless of monthly gasoline throughput.*
- As of Jan. 1, 2017, facilities in Wise County are subject to Stage I rules regardless of monthly gasoline throughput.*
- Facilities in Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, and Rockwall counties are subject to Stage I rules if monthly gasoline throughput is 10,000 gallons or greater in any month after April 30, 2005.
- Facilities in Bastrop, Bexar, Caldwell, Comal, Guadalupe, Hays, Travis, Williamson, and Wilson counties are subject to Stage I rules if monthly gasoline throughput is 25,000 gallons or greater in any month after Dec. 31, 2004.
- All other covered attainment counties are subject to Stage I rules if throughput is greater than or equal to 100,000 gallons of gasoline in any month after Oct. 31, 2014.
Please note, gasoline dispensing facilities exempt from Stage I requirements may still be subject to some control, inspection, and recordkeeping requirements.
For more information on Stage I Vapor Recovery requirements, please visit the TCEQ Stage I webpage or call the Small Business and Local Government Assistance hotline, 800-447-2827.
* If your gasoline dispensing facility is located in the Beaumont-Port Arthur, Dallas-Fort Worth, El Paso, or Houston-Galveston-Brazoria areas, and has dispensed no more than 10,000 gallons of gasoline in any calendar month after Jan. 1, 1991, and for which construction began prior to Nov. 15, 1992, your facility is exempt from Stage I requirements.