Automotive Service Technician
Responsible for installation, service repair, inspection and maintenance of lubrication equipment and other related automotive shop equipment for vehicle maintenance facilities, on and off site.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Performs service repairs and preventative maintenance on automotive shop equipment and lubrication systems.
- Troubleshoots and analyzes mechanical problems and provide repairs as required.
- Installs, programs and tests new equipment and software.
- Reads and interprets schematic diagrams, product specifications, and installation procedures.
- Selects appropriate materials and parts required to complete assigned repairs.
- Monitors and is accountable for accuracy of parts inventory on service vehicle including but not limited to, transfers of parts to appropriate jobs and other service techs as applicable as well as returns to warehouse facilities.
- Operates tools and equipment safely to accomplish the assigned task.
- Completes assigned tasks quickly, completely and consistent with guidelines.
- Maintains a clean work area. Organizes/stores tools and material to minimize damage to materials and risk of injury. Protects the property of the company and customer by all reasonable means.
- Communicate with customers and explain technical issues to non-technical people.
- Present yourself professionally as a representative of PSI and be prompt when making service calls.
- Accurately enters time on the daily time sheet
- Maintains daily work orders including: Site location information, the reported problem, the actual problem, parts required, whether the parts were on the truck or had to be ordered, time spent on the job, parts used, and the name of the person you talked to on site.
- Completes the job work order including a customer signature.
- Completes all paperwork while on site.
- Works with the dispatcher or Service Manager to plan and schedule daily service calls.
- Uses technical support provided by manufactures and shares useful information with others.
- Periodically meets with manager to discuss any training requirements and technical information needed.
- Understands and complies with company safety policy.
- Considers work to be performed to identify potential safety hazards and either eliminates the hazard or reports the problem to manager for resolution prior to beginning work.
- Monitors subordinates for safety compliance.
- Participates in safety meetings to discuss potential safety issues.
- Reports accidents or injuries to manager immediately.
- Education and or experience: High school diploma, GED or three years in a related field
- Experience in plumbing and/or pipe fitting with a mechanical aptitude
- Language skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating instructions, installation manuals, and diagrams. Ability to write routine reports, site layouts and correspondence.
- Ability to speak and be understood by customers, manager, dispatcher, and co-workers.
- Problem solving, logical thinking, reasoning and decision making abilities
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide, and measure using whole numbers and fractions.
- Ability to use and understand readings from a volt ohm meter and/or amp meter.
- Each service technician must complete company sponsored training as planned.
- Drivers license (current, unrestricted, and free of moving violations)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms and climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and or move up to 50 pounds, frequently lift/move 100 pounds, and occasionally lift/move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust vision.
The Service technician will be required to wear a company-approved uniform. All service technicians must comply with the uniform requirements. The uniform must be worn while per forming on the job and while in contact with customers. The on-call technician must also wear the approved uniform.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, employees regularly work in the outside weather conditions. The employee frequently works in traffic areas and is exposed to electrical power. The employee occasionally works from a ladder. The employee is frequently exposed to flammable vapors and fumes.